Wednesday, February 16, 2005

wanted: professional day-dumper

it's really too bad that there aren't jobs out there for people who are just really good at killing time. and i'm not talking manslaughter here. this is first degree. it would be an ideal position for me, considering i have a general studies b.a. and am getting a bachelor of philosophy. at the end i'll be pretty good at thinking of most stuff, generally.

unfortunately, people don't want you to philosophize about their car troubles. they want a mechanic. in the same way, my coursework right now doesn't want me to sit here and philosophize about doing it, it wants a real bona-fide student to sit down and do it.

Victor Hugo wrote,
"One is not idle because one is absorbed. There is both visible and invisible labor. To contemplate is to toil, to think is to do. The crossed arms work, the clasped hands act. The eyes upturned to Heaven are an act of creation." 
John Milton put it this way: 
"They also serve who only stand and wait." 

Both are beautiful sayings, and there is truth to what each says. Unfortunately, they're both also highly impractical. Thinking is not going to get me a good mark on my midterm. Sometime I'm going to have to put something down on paper. It has also been said that idle hands are the devil's workshop. Even then, in a twisted way, something is reportedly being done. No, I think I'm just a plain old unaccomplisher. Perhaps it's time for me to stop potentializing and start actualizing. Perhaps it's time for me to stop crapping diem and start carpeing it.

No comments: